Skip to main content

Coming back to this blog! Updates!


This is pretty weird but it's been a longgg time since I posted. Well, to be honest, I only posted once which is pretty terrible. However, I am glad to say that my Japanese studies did not come to a sudden stop like my blogging did.

I ended up taking my first Japanese classes in university about a month after my first blog post. Safe to say, the hours of studying I did and all the things I learned (with great difficulty) was covered in like the first hour of class and I was pretty much in the same boat as everyone else. 

I took the first three beginning classes of Japanese. In UCLA, the Japanese courses are labelled J1, J2, J3 for the beginning Japanese classes. Then it moves on to J4, J5, and J6 which are the intermediate courses. They only offer each course specifically once each school year. So I did J1, 2, and 3 my Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters respectively. However, I decided to take a summer intensive which was a 9 week course where J4, 5, and 6 were all combined. 

Doing the summer Japanese intensive (called J10) was brutal and the most fun I've ever had. It was also the most stressful time ever. I studied so much and it sucks that I actually didn't retain as much as I wanted to. BUT! It was during this time where I started to actually be able to speak and form sentences. While I wasn't actually fluent, I was way better than how I was during my intermediate courses.

I put a lot of effort into studying and it showed! I ended up receiving an A! It was one of the most fulfilling times in my life. During this course, I made many good friends that I still have class with today. I had an amazing time not only furthering my language skills but also creating awesome bonds with awesome people. It was honestly the first time I had ever done this in college. 

As soon as my summer session ended, I went on vacation to Japan by myself! I was hosted by my lovely friend Yukina and her mother in Tokyo. I had the best one week ever. It was there that I realized my speaking skills were quite shit still. I had gained all this confidence and (slightly) big head about my abilities. It was good to get hit with that reality check. It pushed me to want to further my progress more than ever. I had an amazing time though. I went to shrines and temples. I bought nigiri from 7-11 and enjoyed it very much. I even had my first お祭りexperience and got to wear a yukata. It was the best summer of my life. 

So where am I now?
I have officially started my second year at university. I have continued taking Japanese classes! Because I took the summer intensive, I was automatically moved to J100A which is an upper division advanced Japanese class. Safe to say, it was HARD. I don't think I've ever seriously worked so hard to simply pass. I ended up with a C+ and that was with every day study and just 110% pure effort. It was to the point where even my professor wasn't sure I would pass but she did tell me she noticed how hard I worked. (LOL) 

Despite my worries, I passed and now I will soon begin J100B which is the second part of the series. My goal is to get a B- or B! I'm motivated, slightly scared, but ready. 

So there's my full update. To the void that I shout into, I hope this shines a bit of insight into my Japanese learning journey. Hopefully in 2019, I shall be FLUENT!!!! (at least, conversationally comfortable)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre- First French Class and Post

Talk about feeling bad before the first day of school. Not me. Jk jk What I meant to say is that every quarter I get nervous. Very Nervous. Yes, I meant it with a capital letter. However, these fears are of course only momentary and after about a week, things settle down. Before I take my first French class, I wanted to write down some goals and how I feel coming into this. I want to document my efforts with learning French much more intensively compared to how I documented my Japanese learning journey. I learned a lot about how I learn languages best when I was studying Japanese so hopefully I can use some of those skills with learning French hoho. Anyway, this isn't really anything; this is more of a brain dump. So, I'll update later. Good luck future me. So I just finished my first class! Yay! Well, to be honest it was more about going over Cengage which is the online program we're gonna use for class. However, I think I appreciate going over all this

Day 1 and 2

Day One (9/6/17) Hey hey! After realizing how helpful writing in a blog was for my calligraphy journey, I've decided to make a new blog dedicated for my language studies. Right now I'm focusing on Japanese but eventually I definitely want to start posting about other languages like Spanish and Korean. Today is technically my second day of actually studying Japanese but I didn't make a post for yesterday so I'll do a quick summary of that on here. So I reviewed all my hiragana and katakana! It took me about three hours to go over both of these while writing them down. I practiced writing the symbols and made sure I understood both of them! I used Tofugu's mnemonics for both hiragana and katakana. To further make sure I retained the information I also did these "games" called hiragana/katakana drag-n-drop which is like a matching game. It was a great study session and I had a very successful review. My Hiragana and Katakana Practice! Day Two (t